Retailers are built on the currency of repeat customers, loyal customers. New customers are too hard to continually find, reach and market to; so we need repeat customers, and we need them to love us and to be loyal to us. In fact, a new customer is six times more expensive to market to than a customer you already have, and loyal customers are 65% more likely to buy from you again and again.
Creating a following of loyal customers takes time. It’s all about relationships being built on trust, expertise on your behalf, knowing your customers and what problems they want you to solve and giving value.
For a loyal customer there needs to be more to the relationship then the transfer of money for goods, a greeting and a gracious smile. All relationships are two-way streets, retail is no different. Consider the following questions:
- What do you do to give back to your customers, provide value to them – the thing(s) you do to create love in this two-way relationship?
- Do you have a customer loyalty program or customer club?
- Do you send birthday and Christmas cards to your customers?
- Do you host VIP shopping events where you not only have amazing bargains, but a welcoming atmosphere, champagne, nibbles? Not just once a year, but a few – Christmas, Mother’s Day, new product releases or no reason at all (so far as your customer’s think anyway!)?
- Do you sponsor local sporting or charitable events? AND involve yourself personally in such events?
- Do you share useful/important information for FREE frequently?
- Do you create a marketing piece UNIQUELY for your business? For example, an Ebook, calendar, user guide, fashion guide, recipe book etc.
Always remember, it’s the little things that create relationships with your customers, builds loyalty and makes you more sales.
About Marketers Club
The Marketers Club is home to a host of successful marketers that are all dedicated to providing fast-track success for small business owners. Visit marketersclub.com.au/