Safe and convenient transportation for our staff and customers is vital this Christmas. Whether by public transport, owned vehicles, ride sharing or taxi – we’ve compiled a list of the transport options for retailers to share.
Public transport across all states and territories
Due to safety concerns and lockdowns, this Christmas trading period could be the first time our customers or staff have used public transport since the outbreak of the pandemic. To help with planning, here’s an overview of how Australian states and territories are operating and helping keep us Covid-safe.
- With limited capacity currently on public transport in NSW, it is recommended that passengers check what services have space available – you can do that here. The NSW Government strongly recommends face masks on public transport, with their full COVID safety guidelines available here.
- In Victoria most public transport services are running to a normal timetable, with suspended night services. Victorian public transport information can be found here. Everyone must use a fitted face mask covering their nose and mouth for the entire journey, unless they have a lawful reason for not doing so.
- The South Australian Government has implemented a ‘Wash. Cover. Avoid.’ campaign to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- In Western Australia the number of passengers on public transport has returned to about 78 percent of pre-COVID levels. There are increased cleaning regimes and hand sanitation stations available to passengers. More information can be found here.
- QLD Translink has added more than 1,000 extra bus and train services to maximise social distancing, along with many other COVID safe measures. Information here.
- In Tasmania, Passengers are encouraged to keep physical distancing in mind and choose a seat away from others where possible. Although gathering limits do not apply to public transport, commercial passenger transport (eg a shuttle bus as part of a paid tour), private vehicles, aircrafts or boats (recreational flying and boating is permitted) or community transport services such as those provided by many local councils and NGOs to support access to medical care and other essential services. More information here.
- In the Northern Territory, Public transport, including buses, taxis and ride share services, continues to operate. To minimise the risk of contracting or spreading coronavirus (COVID-19), passengers must practice good hygiene and physical distancing where possible. Further information can be found here.
- The ACT has implemented measures such as drivers not accepting cash, front seats on buses are closed to allow more space between passengers, light rail doors open automatically so passengers do not have to touch the buttons and extra cleaning and hygiene regimes. View ACT guidelines here.
Driving and parking options
Roads and parking spots will begin to fill up as Christmas shopping intensifies.
Wilson Parking has a range of offers Australia wide to help assist with a COVID safe Christmas for your customers and employees.
They’re providing the flexibility to park when customers need with Flexi Saver Parking starting from as low as $9* per day in South Australia, $12* in Western Australia, $15* in Victoria, $16* in New South Wales and $17* in Queensland.
For those customers shopping with friends after work or on the weekend, they also have Night & Weekend Parking starting from just $5* at select Wilson car parks when you book via the Wilson Parking App.
Customers or staff can take advantage of these affordable, contact free parking offers today by downloading the Wilson Parking App or heading to www.wilsonparking.com.au/promotions/VIC for more information.
Taxi and ride sharing
Taxi and ride sharing services are an important option for those carrying extra packages, working late at night or unable to use other transport options. Many Australians remain uncertain about the safety practices. We’ve highlighted the key points below.
Face masks are strongly recommended in taxis, hire cars and ride sharing services. Safe Work Australia has a useful overview about negating the COVID risk for both drivers and passengers that can be found here.
Here is some general travel advice when using taxis, ride share and hire cars:
- Do not travel if unwell
- Practise good hygiene
- Cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze
- Sit in the backseat of the vehicle
- Use contactless payments where possible
- Handle your own luggage where possible
If your customers are staff are using ride share services here is a list of guidelines from the most commonly used: