Employment and Skills
The Committee consists of HR and L&D professionals and provides leadership insights on issues relating to learning, future workforce needs, skill benchmarks and trends.
It has a history of achievement that gives effect to the Retail Institute and its depth of expertise in retail.
The Committee supports the development of Retail As a Career through strategic initiatives which focus on the three key aspects of: attract, develop and retain.
- Eligibility: Senior L&D/HR/People & Culture representatives nominated by premium ARA members.
Diploma of Retail Merchandise Management
(Buying and Merchandise Planning)
- Directly stemming from committee consultation
- Course design and accreditation
- Over 100 learners represented by over 30 different retail brands have commenced the Diploma
- New enrolments were received in May and June 2020
- Secured National and State funding which has helped run specific indigenous, migrant and refugee programs
Advocacy for Retail Skills
- Advocated for appropriate duration and effectiveness of training to better meet the needs of the retail sector through submissions and lobbying
Key Recent Issues
- Retail Careers Advocacy
- Digital Skills Training (accredited & non-accredited)
- Retail Supply Chain Training (accredited & non-accredited)
- University Pathways – Retail specific Graduate Certificate
- Manage Customer Aggression & Infection Control Skillsets
- Workwell Learning Networks update
- SDA-Nobody Deserves a Serve/Respect & Resilience (campaign & training)
- Jobseeker Programs
- Retail Ready Jobs Program
- Victorian WorkSafe Learning Network
Participating Retailers include:
API, Chemist Warehouse, Super Retail Group, Mecca, Myer, Fantastic Holdings, 7-Eleven, Retail Prodigy Group, TEEG, McDonalds, Heinemann, Brand Collective, JB-Hi-Fi and many more.
Head of Learning and Development,
Become a Committee Member
ARA Gala No.1
We invite you to join us for the annual ARA Gala No. 1, a spectacular black-tie dinner celebrating the future and innovation of Australian retail. Hear the inspiring voices and
ARA CEO Lunch
The ARA’s Annual CEO Lunch brings together senior leaders from across Australia’s $400 billion retail sector to reflect on high-calibre, agenda-setting discussions – this year with a focus on reconciliation
Employment Relations: Workplace Health and Safety & Industrial Manslaughter
In February 2023, a majority of Australia’s state governments agreed to incorporate industrial manslaughter provisions in the national model WHS laws. Join us for this webinar to understand the current
Employment Relations: Secure Jobs, Better Pay changes update
The Secure Jobs Better Pay Act brought about significant legislative reform, with staggered implementation dates for many of the changes. Many of those changes take effect from June 2023, including
Employment Relations: Union right of entry
Union officials have rights to attend premises for authorised reasons. However, there are rules and procedures which govern their right of entry. This webinar will equip employers with knowledge of
Employment Relations: Bargaining and enterprise agreements
An enterprise agreement is a collective agreement which sets out the terms and conditions of employment for the people it covers. Recent legislative change has imposed significant changes to the