In the Christmas trading period, speed is critical for customers doing last minute shopping and especially this year when the crowds in stores grow, many customers will be looking for ways to avoid those crowds. In number 9 of our #12WaysToChristmas countdown, we share our top tips to making click and collect the best experience possible for your customers.
During Covid lockdown and beyond we have seen many retailers implement or enhance existing click and collect services to provide customers with a seamless, safe shopping experience.
If your organisation hasn’t implemented click and collect yet, now is a great time to offer customers another fast and convenient way of shopping with you during the Christmas trading period. Customers can save on shipping costs, potentially pick up the same day as ordering and have extra assurance because they can inspect the product before committing to the purchase, which online shopping alone doesn’t offer.
- Communication is key
To ensure a seamless shopping experience, don’t forget to email and text your customers with clear next steps when it comes to their click and collect order. This will build trust and if the customer feels they’ve had a good experience, can keep them coming back for more.
Consider making these emails/texts part of your click and collect sequence:
- Order confirmation with pick up details and instructions
- Pick up is ready – if an order isn’t ready immediately, let the customer know when their item/s will be ready for pickup
- Pick up reminders
- Review the experience – gathering feedback from your customers will allow you to improve in the future
- Think about up selling
Click and collect combines online convenience and assurance with in-store marketing opportunities – almost 50 percent of Australian shoppers buying additional items when picking up an order in-store.
How can you use your digital channels to create personalized recommendations for when a customer comes to your store? Consider offering a discount code for complementary products that could accompany their order in your confirmation email. This could be added to the order or ready to use in store during pick-up.
- Best practice pick up tips
Every retail store is set out differently, especially now with Covid crowd and social distancing restrictions. However, here are some general best practice guidelines to keep in mind:
- Ensure seamless connection between online and offline data between your ecommerce platform and POS systems
- Have a dedicated pick up zone with accessible signage – have you considered parcel collection points?
- Does your store have parking spots? Designate some for click and collect
- Have your items pre-sorted and ready for pick up to align with the timing of the customer email confirmation and pick up ready notices
- Ensure all staff are aware of processes and are up to date with click and collect practices in your store